Thursday, July 10, 2014

My name is Brian Negus. I'm a visually-impaired photographer

 My name is Brian Negus. I'm a visually-impaired photographer who is registered blind in the UK. 
Many registered blind people have some useful vision). I want to make contact with other visually-impaired photographers to share our experiences. I've set up a Flickr group for UK-based visually-impaired photographers and we have a steadily growing membership).  Visually-impaired photographers work in many different ways. If you're interested in how I work, I've produced a set of photos and a brief video. If you look at discussions in the group for UK-based visually-impaired photographers you'll get an insight into both why and how we work. Following my retirement in 2007 from my post as Director of Computing Services at Loughborough University, I became a Trustee and subsequently chairman of Vista, the local, Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland charity which improves lives for over 6,000 blind and partially sighted people. I retired from my role in Vista in 2013 and will remain an enthusiastic supporter of Vista's work. 
My photography has attracted some media attention over the last few years. Here are a few representative links:
BBC Leicester 
La Republica (Italy)
The Sun (UK national newspaper)
Leicester Mercury (UK local newspaper)
video made by a group of MSc students from Westminster University
Leicester Mercury, May 2012, story about photo used on Royal Mail stamp sheet
documentary made by a group of students from Winchester University (December 2012)
Leicester Mercury, 2013

I'm a member of my local camera club,
Shepshed and District Camera Club

If you live in or around Leicestershire and you're a member of a group that might like to learn more about photography by people with sight loss, I've got some fairly light-hearted illustrated talks that I've already given to camera clubs, Rotarys, WIs and others. I'm keen to get the message across that people with disabilities can do all sorts of things that might initially sound surprising. If you'd like to discuss my coming to talk to your group, please emailbrian.negus@googlemail.com . I don't charge for the talks, but I'd appreciate a donation to Vista.

I've given a few of my photos creative commons licences, but most have standard copyright. I've always been delighted to give permission for non-commercial and some commercial use of my photos. If you use one of my creative commons photos, then please do consider making a donation to Vista through its web site. If you want to use any of my other photos, then please ask. I'll probably say yes and make a similar suggestion! I don't insist you do this, but every little helps. You can find Vista at www.vistablind.org.uk

Finally, I'm experimenting with audio visual slide shows with original music produced in Garageband. My first attemtp, May 2012, is a little rough, but you might like to take a look at my Youtube channel to see how things are coming along.
www.youtube.com/user/NegusBrian/videos 

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this.
Twitter: @BrianNegus
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/NegusBrian/videos

The lily pond At Biddulph Grange Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment